06 December 2010

more favorite things...



My great-grandfather's pastels.  He was offered a scholarship to study art in Rome.  His father disapproved of this, believing that a career making art was unacceptable. My great-grandfather ran away to become a sailor instead.




 
A pin-cushion made from an old woolen cape sewn for me by my grandmother, and a floral cotton dress she made for herself.




A well-loved old British road atlas.  My mother received a Fulbright teaching scholarship and we lived here for one year.  









I collect books.  This is a French children's songbook with the most delicate and beautiful illustrations.





Delicious persimmons. This one is a Hachiya, inedible until it's the consistency of custard.






My modest feather collection.




My OED! 

No comments: