19 January 2011

vintage linens...

I am fortunate to have inherited some beautiful linens from both my grandmother and my stepfather's mother and this is the year that I am going to clean them properly, as they are all looking very much in need of attention!  If you have experience in cleaning vintage linens, I'd love to hear from you.
I've taken a few photos of some of my favorites.  I have a weakness for monograms and show you a few of the best here.  There are also some magnificent damasks in the collection; a huge tablecloth covered with thistles, a set of napkins with three-leaved clovers, and a beautiful set of hand towels bordered by graceful morning glories.








The imagery on this hand towel is quite interesting; a border of elephants interspersed with stars, a maiden bearing a water jug, vertical and horizontal borders of circles, and, best of all, this...


...a small boy being bitten by a dog!
This heartwarming scene is repeated four times.


I found this small tablecloth for less than one dollar at an estate sale.  It was washed with something red and has a pink cast, which you can't make out from the photo.  Again, if anyone has any suggestions as to removing the color cast, please let me know.



No comments: