11 September 2008

trothing my plight


11 September 2008

It seemed like an arranged marriage all along. Having to give up my reading glasses for specs with progressive lenses gave me a good excuse to stop wearing the dominating and overly heavy Tommy Hilfiger frames I had purchased ten years ago and adopt a "new look". Originally, I felt excited at the prospect, but after spending hours rooting about at optical shops on both coasts and finding nothing that looked like me, whatever that means, I began to feel discouraged. All the frames looked alike, tedious pairs of rectangles. I tried on a pair of Vera Wang's that made me look bitter and menopausal and a pair that made me look Speed Racer-ish. The frames I thought I was after, like the ones worn by Anouk Aimee in 8 & 1/2, were everywhere and made me look like everyone else. I decided that I was going to have to wear a pair that I could learn to love over time, and I guess these are those glasses. They were pricey. Someone suggested that they made me look like Sarah Palin. Someone else said she loved them, particularly the way they picked up the hazel color of my eyes, which are green. Here they are, a half-rim pair of Swissflex, too expensive not to tolerate at the very least.

No comments: